Dear Friends & Allies,
Many of you know that the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) budget has been cut by more than $50 million in the past 3 years. Most of those cuts have been aimed directly at community based Residential and Day & Employment Services. As a result, in addition to there being more than 2,000 people on the Residential Waiting List, there are now about 100 people on the Waiting List for Day & Employment supports as well.
At this point the outlook for DDS funding for 2016 graduates is uncertain.
Both the CT Mirror and The Hartford Courant have reported that we have another $500 million deficit heading into the next legislative session which will start next Wednesday, February 3. In light of this, most are expecting to see more cuts DDS services in the Governor's budget recommendations which will be released next week.
Connecticut already has one interminable waiting list for DDS community residential supports, are we creating another endless waiting list for Day & Employment supports as well?
What can you do?
1. Plan to attend Family Action Day 2016 and spread the word!
Share this email with other families, your providers, your school transition coordinator, your Special Olympics contacts, camp contacts and others who care about the lives of people with I/DD. Ask them to come to Family Action Day and to spread the word with their contacts as well.
2. Contact your State Senator and you State Representative. Let them know you will be at the Capitol and ask them to attend Family Action Day 2016.
Click here to find your legislators.
3. Print and fill out these forms to deliver to Governor Malloy and your legislators on Family Action Day asking them to:
- Agree on a plan to invest DDS institutional savings and efficiencies into funding for community based supports for people languishing on DDS waiting lists.
- Pass a comprehensive "DDS Family's Rights" bill.
- Stop the further erosion of DDS funding for community supports.
Click here to print forms. Filling them out completely beforehand will make your day go much more smoothly on February 10th. Fill out all 3 forms: One for Governor Malloy. One for your State Senator. One for your State Representative.